Monday, July 2, 2012

It's coming! Annnnnnd it's gone.

My mom yelled at me yesterday to clean my room. 

I didn't do it.

She yelled at me again today and said that I was a lazy and filthy so-and-so. 

I wasn't going to clean my room because I didn't feel like it. This made her upset. We finally agreed that if she made me breakfast before I left for work, I'd clean the room.

Problem solved.

All it takes is a little motivation. I knew that if I cleaned the room, I wouldn't have time to eat and I would end up going to work hungry (which I HATE doing). She was nice enough to offer even though she didn't really have to.

How does this relate to writing?

Sometimes, I don't want to write. Sometimes I wake up and think, "what's the point of it all?" Another manuscript that won't make it past the eyes of my friends. Where's the fun in that? 

But then I realize, all I need is some motivation. I'll reward myself with things if I write. Sometimes I look at other blogs posts like this one. Other times I just wait until I feel like writing.

I always say "keep writing" because that's what writers say. I feel like I say it because I'm a writer and I'm expected to say it. What I've learned is, you don't have to write if you don't want to. The world isn't going to end if you decide to take a day off. You can relax. Besides, how are you supposed to have any fun when you're forced? Writing should be fun, not a chore or an obligation. 

I feel like writing now. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something!