Thursday, July 5, 2012

The "Amazing" Spiderman - My Review With SPOILERS!

I wanted to like this movie, I really REALLY did.

But I was disappointed.

I'm not typically a fan of remakes (especially ones done so soon) but I wanted to see what this "re-boot" thing was all about.

First of all, this Andrew Garfield version has the exact same storyline as the Toby Maguire version. My boyfriend pointed out the fact that they're "supposed to." Whatever. Fine.


Still, if I were Raimi, I'd be pissed...

In short, here is my personal list of pros and cons:

PROS:
1.) Emma Stone is a much better choice as the female lead than Kirsten Dunst. Sadly, she does very little in the movie besides swoon over Spiderman.
2.) Great set-up in the beginning. We get a real sense of who Peter Parker is as person. I liked that we get to explore what happened to his parents. 
3.) There were lots of funny moments.

CONS:
1.) I didn't like the lizard villain because his character was flat. They tried really hard to make him matter and make the audience care about him and his missing arm...but it felt forced. I guess they want to play with him more which explains why they didn't kill him off. I still think Willem Dafoe was a better villain in the Toby Maguire version.
2.) So the lizard is going to expel green gas all over the city? Excuse me? That was just silly. I never felt the city was actually in danger during this scene.
3.) Why does Spiderman pull off his mask and show his face to everyone? This bothered me.
4.) Just because you try to "re-launch" a movie doesn't mean we're going to forget about the first one.


If I was able to take bits and pieces of each movie and put them together, I could make a decent story.


Overall, I give this movie a 3 out of 5. It wasn't horrible but it wasn't amazing (pun intended). In the words of my boyfriend, "It was better than Abe Lincoln." Agreed, boyfriend. Agreed

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something!