Sunday, June 17, 2012

I'm Writing A Spec Script

I've never written a spec script before. It's turning out to be one of the hardest things I've ever written. 

This is the point in time when you're really putting yourself out there as a writer. No longer are you sheltered from the world of rejection. You're standing on a busy street corner wearing neon reflectors with a target painted on your back.

Congratulations. You've volunteered at the firing range. Now publishers and agents get to practice the art of rejection on you first hand. Some will flat out say no. Some will probably just ignore you completely. The chances of someone saying yes is slim to none. 

But, the more I query, the better my chances. Maybe I should enter contests and join writing groups like others before me have done. There's no telling what will come of it if I just try. I have a million stories in me and this is just one of them. It's just the tip of the iceberg.

It's time for me to dust off my creativity and give it another whirl. If I can write like I did in high school, it would be a dream come true. I'm not talking about the stories I used to make up (because they were awful) but the need that I felt. I was hungry and getting a story out of me and into the nearest notebook was my way of eating. I had to write so bad that I would finish all my homework at school just so I could spend the night writing. 

I want to be that girl again. And with 74 pages of my first draft complete, I think I'm well on my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Say Something!